Welcome to Applet Bots, a multi-agent environment simulation project started by Erik Rasmussen. The intial goal in this project was to create a two-dimensional environment for virtual robots (called "agents") to wander around in and perform tasks based on simple algorithms.
The rules are as follows:
- Agents are represented as circles and bounce off of walls and other objects according to the laws of physics.
- An agent must not know his absolute position (x and y coordinates) in the world.
- An agent has a limited sight starting from the edge of his "body" out in 360°.
- An agent can know his velocity and the velocity of any other objects he can see.
- An agent can only control his movement by setting his acceleration. This is very different from changing his velocity or position.
- In one time cycle, each agent may observe the world and optionally modify his acceleration only once.
The final goal is to have some kind of learning AI bots playing a game similar to soccer or capture the flag or something.
If the applets don't work, you might need to install the Sun Java Virtual Machine in your browser. To do so, click here.
Please leave questions and comments in the forum.